Puttu and kadala curry is an all time favourite among Keralites. My hubby is very fond of this dish. Last time I was chatting with my sister she mentioned about making “meen peera puttu” (Puttu with fish and coconut) . I had not made that dish before and wanted to try it out. As I didn’t have any fish in stock ,I decided to try Puttu with the prawns I had. Final verdict : yummy!!!
For the Puttu
- Puttu Powder (readymade mix is available)- 2 cups
- Salt – 1 tsp
- Grated Coconut – 1/2 Cup
Add salt to the Puttu powder. Sprinkle water on it till moist.
For the Prawn Masala
- Large onion sliced – 2
- Ginger – 1” piece
- Garlic cloves – 5
- Chilly powder – 1 tsp
- Turmeric powder – ½ tsp
- Garam Masala – ½ tsp
- Large Prawns – 15
- In a pan,heat oil and saute finely chopped ginger and garlic.
- Toss in the chopped onions and sauté till they become light brown in colour.
- Add the powders and sauté again.
- Add the prawns , mix well and cook on low flame till done,with the lid closed
- In a puttu-maker add 2 tbsp of grated coconut.
- Fill in half of the puttu maker with the moistened puttu powder and add 3 tbsp of prawn masala.
- Again fill in with the puttu powder almost till the top.
- Add the 2 tbsp of grated coconut again.
- Close the puttu maker with a lid and steam it for 8-10 minutes.