As kids’ bdays neared in November , I asked them what cake would they want me to bake this time…and both of them had the same reply.. They need a cake with lots of M n M s .. like the Kit Kat cake I had baked last year for their birthdays .
That’s when I remembered about the Pinata Cake picture Azna had sent me a a few months back. Hiding M n Ms inside a cake – the boys were surely going to love it !!! 🙂 The Ultra Moist Chocolate Cake I had posted before would be the cake in which the M n Ms would hide.
Now a days my kids want to handle all the cake mixing part. So I handed the measured ingredients to the birthday boy and he did all the mixing and stirring. But after baking the cake, when the icing part came, I didn’t allow the kids to enter the kitchen .. couldn’t spoil the surprise element 🙂
I was eager to see the surprise on the boys ‘ faces when the Mn M s fell out, but they were more busy .. Were the birthday boys and friends surprised when the cake was cut ? Well, not exactly.. the friends were more busy smearing the cream over the birthday boys 🙂 But on the plus side, the boys did enjoy the cake.. Yummy and awesome was the verdict from them !!! 🙂
Here’s the method to hide the M n Ms inside the cake…
Divide the cake into 3 equal parts. Keep one layer aside
Make a hole in the middle of the first layer using any cookie cutter . Pour sugar syrup over the layer . Spread whipped cream over the layer.
Now make a hole over the second layer. Place the second layer over the first layer. Pour sugar syrup over this and spread whipped cream.
Place the M nMs into the hole made by the 2 layers. Now place the layer that was kept aside over the 2 layers. This 3rd layer will hide the M n Ms .
FOR THE CAKE
- Powdered sugar – 2 cups
- All-purpose flour – 1 3/4 cups
- Cocoa powder – 3/4 cup
- Baking powder – 1 1/2 teaspoon
- Baking soda – 1 1/2 teaspoons
- Salt – 1 teaspoon
- Eggs – 2
- Milk – 1 cup
- Vegetable oil – 1/2 cup
- Vanilla extract – 2 teaspoons
- Boiling water – 1 cup
- Whipping cream , for frosting
FOR THE SUGAR SYRUP
- Sugar – 1/4 cup
- Water – 1 cup
FOR THE WHIPPING CREAM
- Dreamwhip – 3 sachet
- Cold Milk – 1 1/2 cup
- Vanilla Essence – 1tsp
TO MAKE THE CAKE:
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees C.
- In a large bowl, stir together the sugar, flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- Add the eggs, milk, oil and vanilla, mix for 2 minutes on medium speed of mixer. Stir in the boiling water last.
- Batter will be thin. Pour evenly into the prepared pan.
- Bake 30 to 35 minutes in the preheated oven, until the cake tests done with a toothpick.
- Cool in the pans for 10 minutes, then remove to a wire rack to cool completely.
TO MAKE THE SUGAR SYRUP:
Stir the sugar, water and essence in a small saucepan and bring to boil. Simmer till the sugar has dissolved, and cool completely.
TO MAKE THE WHIPPING CREAM:
Mix the contents in 3 small sachets of Dreamwhip with 1 1/2 cup cold mix and a teaspoon of vanilla essence. Beat on high speed for 5-7 minutes till you get light fluffy peaks. This will give about 5 cups whipped cream.
- Divide the cake into 3 equal horizontal layers. Keep one layer aside
- Make a hole in the middle of the first layer using any cookie cutter . Pour sugar syrup over the layer . Spread whipped cream over the layer.
- Now make a hole over the second layer. Place the second layer over the first layer. Pour sugar syrup over this and spread whipped cream.
- Place the M nMs into the hole made by the 2 layers. Now place the layer that was kept aside over the 2 layers. This 3rd layer will hide the M n Ms .
- Apply a thin layer of frosting over the cake (crumb coat) . Refrigerate for 1-2 hours
- Apply a thicker coating of the frosting to get a final smooth finish.