An easy one pot meal.. If you are pressed for time, try this really delicious dish which can be prepared in less than half an hour.. All you need is a raita as accompaniment.. I found this recipe on the Vahrevah site, an awesome site by Chef Sanjay with lots of culinary delicacies and explained in a really interesting manner…
There are many variations for Tomato Rice – using tomato puree alone, or a combination of tomato puree and coconut milk.. Another way, which is also shown in the Vahrevah site, is to saute the onions and tomatoes and add the boiled rice. I tried out the first method and the result was immensely gratifying.. So without further ado , here’s the recipe…
- Basmati Rice – 2 cup
- Ghee or oil – 4tbsp
- Cardamom -4
- Cloves – 4
- Cinnamon – ¼ inch piece
- Bayleaf – 3
- Cumin seeds – ½ tsp
- Turmeric powder – ½ tsp
- Ginger garlic paste – 1 tbsp
- Onion sliced – 1
- Green chillies , chopped-2
- Tomato pureed – 2 cups (use abt 4 tomatoes)
- Boiling water – 2 cups
- Cashew nuts – 10
- Coriander ,mint leaves – a handful
- In a heavy bottomed pan,heat 3 tbsp ghee or oil & toss in cardamom, cinnamon, cloves, bayleaf , cumin seeds. When they start to splutter add turmeric powder and saute.
- Add ginger garlic paste,onions,green chillis fry for few minutes.
- Add the rice and stir for 4-5 minutes
- Puree the tomatoes and add to the pan and mix with the rice.
- Pour the boiling water and salt to taste and cook on closed lid on medium flame.
- Meanwhile heat 1 tbsp ghee in a pan and fry the cashewnuts till golden brown.
- When the rice is cooked well add the fried cashews.
- Garnish with coriander and mint leaves.
- Serve hot with raita