It’s usually Vegetable Pulao for lunch (to make the kids eat their veggies without much fuss..).. Came across this rice preparation with mushrooms in one of my favorite cooking shows on TV. Mushrooms and rice??? Interesting… Made it with minimal changes : incorporated oregano and parsley as they go well with mushrooms... Result:Son who is not a big fan of mushrooms asked me to prepare it for him again.. Now this simple yet appealing dish is a recurrent item in our lunch menu…
Adapted from Magic Oven Show by Lakshmi Nair
- Basmati rice, washed and drained – 1 1/2 cup
- Boiling water – 3 cups (twice the amount of rice)
- Butter – 2 tbsp
- Garlic chopped – 4 cloves
- Button Mushrooms , cubed – 15
- Cooked corn – 1/2 cup
- Parsley chopped – a handful
- Oregano powder – 1-2 tsp
- Pepper powder – 1-2 tsp
- Salt – to taste
- Heat a thick bottomed pan and melt the butter.
- Add chopped garlic and saute till it gives a nice aroma.
- Toss in the chopped mushrooms and cook till the water from the mushrooms have dried up.
- Add the rice and saute on medium flame for 4-5 minutes
- Add the boiling water and salt and cook on a closed lid.
- When the rice is cooked, toss in the cooked corn and chopped parsley.
- Sprinkle the oregano and pepper powder.
- Serve hot… and treat your tastebuds 🙂
A creamy preparation of pasta with white sauce and mushrooms. A must have for all pasta lovers…
Béchamel Sauce also known as White Sauce is used in a variety of dishes and is the base for many sauces. It is traditionally made by whisking heated milk gradually into a white flour-butter mixture.The ratio of butter, flour and milk is 1:1:1 , ie for 1 tbsp of butter , use 1 tbsp flour and 1 cup of milk.
To make pasta
- Pasta – 400gm
- oil – 1tbsp
You can use shell pasta or tubular pasta. Boil a pot of slightly salted water. Add pasta and cook till it becomes translucent, stirring in between. Add cold water to the cooked pasta and drain again. Add 1 tbsp of olive oil to the pasta so that it wont get sticky.
To make Béchamel Sauce (White Sauce)
- Butter – 2 tbsp
- Flour -2 tbsp
- Milk – 2 1/2 cup
- Pepper powder – 1 tsp
- Mustard powder – 1/2 tsp
Heat a thick bottomed pan. Melt the butter. Add flour and stir continuously till it gets a smooth texture. Mix in milk and continue to cook and stir until the sauce is thick enough to coat the back of a spoon. Add pepper powder , mustard powder and salt in 1/2 cup of milk and add to the sauce.
For Mushroom Layer
- Butter or olive oil – 1tbsp
- Onion – 1
- Garlic – 2 cloves
- Capsicum – 1
- Button Mushrooms – 500 gm
- Oregano powder – 1 tsp
Melt butter. Saute garlic and chopped onion . Add chopped capsicum and saute for 3 minutes. Stir in the cubed mushrooms and cook till they become tender. Add the oregano powder. Mix in the white sauce and cook till the sauce thickens.
In a glass dish spread the mushroom sauce. Add pasta on top of it. Spread mozarella cheese on top of the pasta. Add oregano powder . (Optional – bake in a preheated oven at 180 C)