A very popular snack – pancakes filled with meat and vegetables, coated with breadcrumbs and then deep fried. The whole process is a bit time consuming but worth it as you can freeze them for later use. When required defreeze them for half an hour and fry .This one is another regular on our Iftar table.
For the filling
- Chicken – 1 kg
- Soya sauce – 1 tbsp
- Chilli powder – 1 tsp
- Carrot , cut into thin long slices – 1/2 cup
- Cabbage, cut into thin long strips – 1 cup
- Onion, chopped – 3
- Garlic, chopped – 10 cloves
- Ginger, chopped – 3″ piece
- Green chillies, chopped – 3
- Light Soya sauce – 1 1/2 tbsp
- Pepper powder – 1 tbsp
- Coriander leaves , chopped – a few sprigs
- Salt – as required
For the pancake
- All purpose flour – 1 cup
- Water – 2 cups
- Salt – 1 pinch
For the coating
- Egg whites – 3
- Breadcrumbs – as required
To make the filling
- Cut the chicken into fairly large pieces and rub the soya sauce and chilli powder over them. Cook with required amount of water and salt. If there is water remaining, cook with the lid open till all water evaporates. After the chicken cools, shred it into long pieces.
- Heat a non stick pan and add oil.
- On medium flame saute chopped onions and green chillies till onion turns translucent.
- Add chopped ginger and garlic and saute for 4-5 minutes.
- Add the shredded chicken and saute again.
- Finally add the sliced carrots and cabbage. Increase the flame to high and stir continuously for around 5 minutes till the vegetables turn soft.
- Add soya sauce and pepper powder. Adjust the pepper and salt according to your taste.
- Stir in chopped coriander leaves and remove from flame.
To make the pancakes
- Mix flour , water and salt in blender to get a lump free batter. The batter will be thin in consistency
- Heat a non stick pan . Keep the flame low. Pour a big spoonful of batter and spread to form a circle .Cook one side of the pancake (Do NOT flip over). (If the pancake sticks to the bottom , increase the heat slightly)
Make the spring rolls
- Remove the pancake and place on an oiled plate. Place a spoonful of filling on one end of the pancake leaving an inch.
- Roll the pancake once. Fold both the sides towards the center.
- Roll the pancake till the end .
- Continue this with the rest of the batter to make spring rolls.
- Dip each spring roll in egg white and then in breadcrumbs.
- Heat oil in a deep pan and deep fry the spring rolls till golden brown in colour.
Sending this to Joy from Fasting to Feasting, Iftar Nights, Kerala Kitchen hosted by Vidya and Monsoon Medley hosted by Saffron Streaks
Chicken cutlets are an all time favourite. But as I have a sweet tooth, I prepare them rarely. Cutlets appear in my kitchen for Iftaar , mainly- the main advantage being their freezer life. Can make them ahead and store for around 3 weeks. Last time I made these, the kids loved them and was asking for more. So guess cutlets will be a regular item from now on …….
- Chicken – 900 gms
- Onions, chopped – 3
- Ginger – 1″ piece
- Garlic – 6 cloves
- Green chillies – 3
- Chilli powder – 1tsp
- Turmeric powder – 1/2 tsp
- Pepper powder – 1 tsp
- Garam Masala – 1 tsp
- Coriander leaves, chopped – a few sprigs
- Potatoes, medium sized- 2
- Egg whites – 2
- Breadcrumbs – for coating
- Oil – for frying
- Cook and mash the potatoes and keep aside.
- Cut the chicken in to big pieces.Rub the chilli and turmeric powders on the pieces and keep aside for 15 minutes.
- Cook the chicken pieces in little water and salt .(You can use pressure cooker.. If there is remaining water, cook with the lid open till water evaporates).
- Remove the bones and shred the chicken into small pieces. (Can use food processor)
- In a medium sized non stick pan , heat oil.
- Add the chopped onions and saute till it turns soft. Add the chopped chillies, ginger and garlic and saute for 3-4 minutes .
- Mix the shredded chicken and saute well for 10-15 minutes. Toss in the pepper powder and garam masala.
- Stir in the chopped coriander leaves .
- Turn off the flame and let the mixture cool for 10 minutes.
- Add the mashed potatoes to the chicken mixture and mix well using your hands. (The mixture should hold shape when rolled into balls).
- Take small portions of the mixture and roll into lime sized ball .Flatten it between the palms to give it shape .
- Beat egg whites with a fork.
- Dip each cutlet in egg white and roll in breadcrumbs, making sure that all sides are nicely coated.
- Heat oil in pan and fry the cutlets in medium flame till they are golden brown (You can deep fry or shallow fry the cutlets) .
Sending this to Iftar Event hosted at Hyderabadi Cuisine Recipes and
Iftar Moments hosted at Taste of Pearl City
and to Kerala Kitchen hosted at Magpies Recipes
Marinated prawns coated with breadcrumbs and deep fried.. An absolutely appealing dish..
- Large prawns, clean and deveined – 15
- Kashmiri Chilli powder – 1 tsp
- Turmeric powder – 1 tsp
- Salt – to taste
- Beaten egg -1
- Marinate prawns with chilli powder, turmeric powder and salt for 1 hr.
- Insert a tooth pick into each prawn from head to tail (to prevent curling when the prawns are fried)
- Dip the prawns in beaten egg and roll in the breadcrumbs to give a nice coating. (Instead of breadcrumbs, crushed cornflakes can be used as coating…)
- Deep fry till golden brown and serve.
P.S: Sending this for the Dish Name Starts with F Event