Often I get feedback from friends and my readers that they tried out a recipe from the blog and it turned out good , which makes my day !! 🙂 From the feedback I get the Dulce de Leche Pudding recipe is the one that I got the most applauds for ..
Dulce de leche is the name for cooked condensed milk .. Cook the condensed milk in a pressure cooker with the weight on for 45 minutes and you get a thick toffee mixture which is Dulce de leche.. After my first attempt in using the dulce de leche as it is for the pudding, I found it too sweet.. To reduce the sweetness I have added milk and used conrflour to thicken the mixture..
You can cook the condensed milk (which is dulce de leche ) and refrigerate for future use.. That way you can whip up this pudding within 10-15 minutes…
I felt that my previous snaps were not doing justice to this silky delicious pudding..So revamping the Dulce de Leche pudding !! All those who haven’t tried this , go ahead and try this yummy treat !!
I had been thinking of adding recipe cards for sometime now.. Here’s my first attempt at it.. Do you like the design?
This is a pretty simple pudding. The basic Moss pudding between slices of cake and jelly. Serve it in individual glass for a visual treat 🙂
Moss pudding is made by adding melted China grass (or agar agar) to milk and boiling till the mixture thickens, and then cooled in refrigerator. This basic recipe can be used in many variations. One pudding which I used to make regularly was – the base layer with caramalised pineapples, then top with moss pudding layer and finally a layer of whipped cream.. yummy!!!
Okay, let’s get to the recipe
- China grass strands (Agar agar) – 8 gm
- Water – 1 cup
- Condensed milk – 1 tin
- Milk – 3 cups
- Sugar – 1 tbsp
- Vanilla essence – a few drops
- Strawberry Jelly – 1 packet
- Sponge cake
To make the china grass layer
- Cut china grass into small pieces. Soak it in 1 cup of water for an hour.
- Transfer to a non stick pan and boil the china grass and water. Reduce heat and stir till the china grass dissolves completely.
- In a pan , mix together milk , condensed milk , vanilla essence and sugar. Boil it and remove from flame.
- Sieve the melted china grass and add to the milk mixture.
- Keep this mixture back on medium flame and stir continuously till the mixture thickens (for around 5 minutes). Remove from fire . Sieve once more and allow to cool for around 10 minutes.
- Arrange the cake slices at the bottom of the individual glasses. (If you prefer, you can use a rectangular dish and arrange the cake slices to form the bottom layer )
- Pour the cooled china grass mixture on top of the cake pieces. Refrigerate for 4-5 hours till the pudding sets.
- Prepare the jelly according to the instructions on the packet
- Pour the jelly over the set pudding and refrigerate again till the jelly sets.
Sending this to Joy from Fasting to Feasting, Iftar Nights and Any One Can Cook Events