Pizza baked at home is a favourite with kids.. But once in a while we do have pizza from pizza outlets . And recently the elder kid has taken a fancy for BBQ flavoured pizza.. So this time I decided to go for that flavour while baking pizza at home.
The Pizza base is made using all purpose and whole wheat flour. No kids did not notice any difference in the base as compared to that made of all purpose flour only. So yes, this healthier version is going to be my recipe for pizza base henceforth.
The barbeque chicken topping preparation is really easy. Marinate the chicken pieces in bbq sauce, salt n pepper for half an hour and grill them . Then top the pizza base with some more bbq sauce, chicken pieces, some onion or capsicum as you prefer.
Barbeque Chicken Pizza
FOR THE PIZZA DOUGH
Recipe from here
- Instant Yeast – 1 1/4 teaspoon
- Honey (Or Sugar) – 1/2 teaspoon
- Warm Water – 1 cup
- Olive Oil – 1 teaspoon
- All Purpose Flour – 1-1/2 cups
- Whole Wheat Flour – 1 cup
- Salt – 3/4 teaspoon
- Mix the honey, warm water and stir to dissolve.
- Sprinkle the yeast over top and let it bloom for 5 minutes or so.
- Add in the olive oil and turn your mixer on low.
- In a bowl, mix the flours and salt. Add the yeast and mix well.
- Add the olive oil and knead well to get a soft dough.
- Toss the dough in a well oiled bowl coating it and the sides of the bowl. Cover with a clean towel and place the bowl in a warm, dry place to rise for 1 hour.
FOR THE BBQ CHICKEN TOPPING
Recipe adapted from here
- Olive oil – 1 tsp
- Barbecue sauce – 1/3 cup plus 2 tablespoons
- Boneless chicken breast , cut into small pieces– 500gm
- Grated Mozzarella cheese – 1 cup
- Red Capsicum , thinly sliced – 1
- Freshly ground pepper – 1 1/2 tbsp
- Mix 2 tablespoons barbecue sauce , 1 teaspoon olive oil, salt and pepper in a small bowl.
- Marinate the chicken with the barbecue sauce mixture for 30 minutes.
- Grill the chicken pieces.
TO BAKE THE PIZZA
- Roll out the dough . Cover it with a wet towel and let it rise for 30 minutes. (The towel should not touch the dough)
- Transfer the dough to a baking tray.
- Now spread with the remaining 1/3 cup barbecue sauce, leaving a 3/4-inch border.
- Top with the chicken, mozzarella and red capsicum.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 180 degree Celsius for 18 to 20 minutes until the cheese melts and the crust is golden
My first entry for the Sweet Punch event … This month’s challenge was Pizza. Initially had planned to make the sauce for the base , but never got to do it … So its old n faithful tomato ketchup this time.. And I had wanted to try out another variation for toppings, which too didn’t work out as it was quite a hectic month.. Hopefully some other time would bake a pizza with homemade sauce and another set of toppings …
As I was preparing the crust for baking , my son got excited and wanted to help me with the toppings.. He helped in slicing the sausages, sprinkled the toppings and impatiently waited in front of the oven till the pizza was ready … 🙂 … The crust behaved well.. Happy with the end result :).. Thank you Divya for this challenge…
IngredientsFOR THE CRUST (MAKES TWO CRUSTS):
- 1 teaspoon Active Dry Or Instant Yeast
- 4 cups All-purpose Flour
- 1 teaspoon Kosher Salt
- ⅓ cups Extra Virgin Olive Oil
For the toppings (for one pizza)
- Cubed Onions – 1
- Cubed bell peppers (green,yellow and red) – 1 each
- Sausages sliced- 4
- Sliced Black olives – 10
- Mozarella cheese – to spread on the pizza
- Dried Oregano powder – 2 tsp
- Dried bay leaves – 1 tsp
- Tomato sauce
*I sauted the onions , bell peppers and sausages on high flame for 2-3 minutes.
To Make Crust
- Sprinkle yeast over 1 1/2 cups warm (not lukewarm) water.
In a mixer, combine flour and salt.
- With the mixer running on low speed (with paddle attachment), drizzle in olive oil until combined with flour.
- Next, pour in yeast/water mixture and mix until just combined.
- Coat a separate mixing bowl with a light drizzle of olive oil, and form the dough into a ball.
- Toss to coat dough in olive oil, then cover the bowl tightly with plastic wrap and store in the fridge until you need it. ***It’s best to make the dough at least 24 hours in advance, and 3 or 4 days is even better.
- Sprinkle your pizza stone or baking sheet with cornmeal/semolina
- Roll out the pizza to your liking[thin/thick].
- Spread the tomato sauce, followed by a generous amount of mozzarella cheese.
- Add the sauted onions, bell peppers and sausages. Add the sliced olives.
- Sprinkle some more mozzarella cheese on top.
- Toss in the dried oregano and bay leaves powder.
- Preheat oven to the maximum temperature[ideally 500F,but since many ovens have the maximum temperature as 200C,that would be fine too].
- Bake for about 10-15 minutes or till the cheese starts bubbling and the pizza is evenly cooked/browned.
- Slice into wedges and serve!