Posting 2 recipes in a week … that’s happening after a really long time .. Even though the new year resolution was to blog more often, and the year almost coming to an end, could not post as often as I wished… The main reason – I was not happy with the snaps I take . After the cooking and the photoshoot , later when I go through the shots again I feel like uhhh.. not good enough for posting !! Still , hoping to fulfill my new year resolution, if not this year, atleast by the next year !!
Often , friends ask me to post simple easy recipes . Keeping that in mind, here is a very easy yet delicious preparation of fish. Fish molee is a typical Syrian Chrisitan dish . Shallow fried fish pieces are cooked in coconut milk based gravy. The curry is not too spicy. More than the chillies, it is the pepper powder that gives that the dish a distinct flavor. The curry goes well with bread or Kerala palappams.
Another dish almost similar to Fish Molee is the Fish Mappas . For the Fish Mappas, coriander and chilly powders are also included , which gives the curry a spicier flavour. Will post Fish Mappas recipe some other time..
RECIPE FOR FISH MOLEE
- Pepper powder – 1 1/2 teaspoon
- Turmeric powder – ½ teaspoon
- Lemon juice or Vinegar – ½ teaspoon
For the gravy
- Kingfish or any other big fish – ½ kg
- Cardamom – 4
- Cloves – 4
- Cinnamon – 1 medium stick
- Onions , sliced as rings – 3 medium
- Ginger Garlic Paste – 1 tablespoon
- Green chilli – 3
- Tomatoes , cut into circles – 2
- Thin Coconut milk – 1 1/2 cups ( 1 cup is 240 ml)
- Thick Coconut milk – 1/2 cup
- Turmeric powder – ½ tsp
- Pepper powder – 1 tsp
- Curry leaves
- Marinate the fish pieces with pepper powder, turmeric powder, salt & lemon juice for an hour. Shallow fry the marinated fish for 3-4 minutes.
- Heat oil in a pan. Splutter cardamom,cinnamon & cloves.
- Add the onions and green chillies and sauté well till the onions become translucent.
- Add the ginger garlic paste and sauté for 3-4 minutes.
- Add the turmeric powder and pepper powder and sauté for a minute
- Add the thin coconut milk and enough salt . When it starts boiling add the shallow fried fish pieces.
- Spread the tomatoes and the curry leaves on the top of the fish pieces.
- Cook on a closed lid on mediuim flame till the fish is cooked well.
- Add the thick coconut milk , heat for a minute and turn off the fire.