My brother n family was here from Qatar for the Eid holidays.. We had a few trips , shoppings , get togethers with friends.. My niece who is in 9th grade has become as tall as me.. only a few more inches and I will have to ‘look up’ to her !! And she was telling me smugly to buy high heels the next time we meet .. !! The younger one is as cute as a doll.. infact among the kids in my family, she is the only one who never gets into any fight, always adjusting.. and she is only six !!
The day before they left to Qatar , we had a nice dinner at our friend’s home.. Azna is a superb cook.. Though a vegetarian, she prepares awesome non veg dishes..
Biriyani, mutton curry, chicken fry , vegetable stew from Azna’s kitchen ..
and the delicious semiya paayasam by Praseeda..
While having dinner, our friend asked me to make Chattipathiri the next time we meet… Two of my friends , whom I hadn’t met for 16 years were coming over the next weekend.. so I thought of making chattipathiri when all of them were there ..
Chattipathiri is basically layers of pancake and minced chicken.. The pancakes can be dipped in beaten eggs and arranged.. or you can use coconut milk instead of the eggs.. I found coconut milk more flavorsome..
Everytime I do the editing of the snaps for the blog, I ask feedback from my dear hubby.. and almost always the reply is the same, “ But I don’t remember you making this dish for me !!” … For the last post Nutella Custard Pudding, I was editing the snaps and asked my hubby whether the snaps look good?? .. He said, “The snaps are good, but isn’t this made by someone else?? So why are you asking for feedback??” I replied “Dear, this pudding was prepared by yours truly , a few days back.. and you had your share too… !!” Well , so much for the interest my hubby shows in my cooking and blogging !! And this time, while editing the snaps for this post, he saw me at work.. to set right the earlier slip ups , he said , “Ohh that’s a nice cake !!” .. Though I understood his good intention, I couldn’t help laughing and replied “Dear, that’s not a cake, but the chattipathiri I made a few days back.. !!”
Today it’s my dear sister in law Zareena’s birthday .. Here’s wishing you lots of luv n happiness, dear !!
So.. here goes the recipe…
For the chicken mince
- Chicken – 500gm
- Onions , large – 3
- Ginger – 1 inch piece
- Garlic – 6 cloves
- Green chillies – 3
- Chilli powder – 1tsp
- Turmeric powder – 1/2 tsp
- Pepper powder – 1 tsp
- Garam Masala – 1 tsp
- Coriander leaves, chopped – a few sprigs
- Cut the chicken in to big pieces. Rub the chilli and turmeric powders on the pieces and keep aside for 15 minutes.
- Cook the chicken pieces in a little water and salt .(You can use pressure cooker.. If there is water remaining, cook with the lid open till water evaporates).
- Remove the bones and shred the chicken into small pieces. (Can use food processor)
- In a medium sized non stick pan , heat oil.
- Add the chopped onions and saute till it turns soft. Add the chopped chillies, ginger and garlic and saute for 3-4 minutes .
- Mix the shredded chicken and saute well for 10-15 minutes. Toss in the pepper powder and garam masala. You can adjust the pepper powder and garam masala acc to how spicy you need.
- Stir in the chopped coriander leaves .
- Turn off the flame and let the mixture cool.
For the pancake..
- All purpose flour – 2 cups
- Water – 4 cups
- Salt – a pinch
- Beat the flour and water in a blender to get a lump free batter. Add the salt.
- Heat a non stick pan.
- Pour about a big ladle of batter and cook on one side on low flame. Do not toss the pancake. The pancake should not be too thin , or else it might tear while layering.
- Transfer the pancake to a greased plate or newspaper.
- Make the pancakes with the rest of the batter . Do not keep the pancakes on top of each other as they will stick to each other .
- Thick Coconut Milk – 2 cups
- Garam Masala – 1 tsp
- Coriander leaves – a few sprigs
- Mix all the ingredients
- Take a deep bottomed non stick pan and grease with ghee.
- Take a pancake. Dip it in the coconut milk and keep in the pan.
- Spread about 2 tbsps of the chicken mince over the pancake.
- Repeat the process of adding layers of pancake and chicken mixture . The last layer should be pancake.
- When all the pancakes are arranged , pour the remaining coconut milk over the layers.
- Sprinkle a few drops of ghee around the sides of the pan.
- Cover the pan with lid and cook on medium flame for around 20 minutes, till the coconut milk is absorbed.
- Your Chattipathiri is ready now …
- Transfer to a plate upside down and cut into slices to serve..