This is a pretty simple pudding. The basic Moss pudding between slices of cake and jelly. Serve it in individual glass for a visual treat 🙂
Moss pudding is made by adding melted China grass (or agar agar) to milk and boiling till the mixture thickens, and then cooled in refrigerator. This basic recipe can be used in many variations. One pudding which I used to make regularly was – the base layer with caramalised pineapples, then top with moss pudding layer and finally a layer of whipped cream.. yummy!!!
Okay, let’s get to the recipe
- China grass strands (Agar agar) – 8 gm
- Water – 1 cup
- Condensed milk – 1 tin
- Milk – 3 cups
- Sugar – 1 tbsp
- Vanilla essence – a few drops
- Strawberry Jelly – 1 packet
- Sponge cake
To make the china grass layer
- Cut china grass into small pieces. Soak it in 1 cup of water for an hour.
- Transfer to a non stick pan and boil the china grass and water. Reduce heat and stir till the china grass dissolves completely.
- In a pan , mix together milk , condensed milk , vanilla essence and sugar. Boil it and remove from flame.
- Sieve the melted china grass and add to the milk mixture.
- Keep this mixture back on medium flame and stir continuously till the mixture thickens (for around 5 minutes). Remove from fire . Sieve once more and allow to cool for around 10 minutes.
- Arrange the cake slices at the bottom of the individual glasses. (If you prefer, you can use a rectangular dish and arrange the cake slices to form the bottom layer )
- Pour the cooled china grass mixture on top of the cake pieces. Refrigerate for 4-5 hours till the pudding sets.
- Prepare the jelly according to the instructions on the packet
- Pour the jelly over the set pudding and refrigerate again till the jelly sets.