Back to blogging after a big gap.. and I have my excuse too 🙂 … Well, I was on vacation at my hometown… Had a hectic schedule, but enjoyed each moment of it, hanging out with my dear ones … My little nephews and nieces are growing up fast.. and they are quite a bunchful too, like different flowers in a garden – the emotional one, naughty ones, girly ones and the quiet ones.. Miss you dears…
Was really looking forward for the meeting my school friends had planned .. to meet our teacher, mentor, guide – Father Mathew Vithuvettickal.. am so happy that I could make it for the get together… that was the moment for which I was looking for since long time – I was meeting my friends after a long gap of 18 years!!! After all these years, we could feel the same camaraderie.. It was like travelling back to our school days, recollecting the fun times we had .. And it was a blessing that I could meet my favourite teacher after so long !!!
And yes, the other main thing is my blog is turning a year old.. I have to thank all my dear friends for their continuous love and support.. Your feedback means a lot to me.. and thank you for trying out so many of my recipes and sharing the result..So A Big Thanks guys, for all your love.. it is appreciated more than you will ever know.. Keep it coming.. And love and thanks to my dear sis in law , Zareena, for being the unofficial proof reader of my blog 🙂
For this blog anniversary, decided to deviate from my comfort zone of chocolate and coffee cakes… and finalised on an orange and almond cake from one of the recipe books. The cake batter uses almond flour and semolina … And the cake is soaked with orange flavoured sugar syrup.. On retrospect, I could have reduced the quantity of semolina a little more.. and hubby suggested that the sweetness could have been brought down a bit.. But apart from that, this is wonderfully moist cake, with the citrus flavour bursting in…. So here goes the recipe..
- Orange – 1
- Butter, softened – 115gm
- Powdered sugar – 115 gm
- Eggs – 2
- Semolina – 3/4 cup (The original recipe uses 1 cup)
- Ground Almonds -1 cup
- Baking powder – 1 1/2 tsp
- Icing sugar – for dusting
For the syrup
- Orange juice – 1 cup
- Superfine sugar – 100gm ( You can reduce the quantity of sugar, depending on the sweetness of orange)
- Cardamom pods, crushed – 3
- Grate the rind from the orange, reserving some for the decoration and squeeze the juice from one half.
- Place the butter, orange rind, and sugar in a bowl and beat together until light and fluffy. Beat in the eggs.
- In a separate bowl, mix the semolina, ground almonds and baking powder , then fold into the creamed mixture with the orange juice.
- Spoon the batter into a greased cake tin and bake at 180 degree for 30 – 40 minutes or a tester comes out clean. Let cool in the pan for 10 minutes.
- To make the syrup , place the orange juice, sugar and cardamom pods in the pan over low heat and stir until the sugar has dissolved. Bring to a boil and let it simmer for 4 minutes or until syrupy. Strain and keep aside.
- Turn the cake out into a deep serving dish. Using a skewer make holes over the surface of the warm cake. Spoon the syrup over the cake and let stand for 30 minutes.
- Dust the cake with confectioner’s sugar and serve.