A very popular snack – pancakes filled with meat and vegetables, coated with breadcrumbs and then deep fried. The whole process is a bit time consuming but worth it as you can freeze them for later use. When required defreeze them for half an hour and fry .This one is another regular on our Iftar table.
For the filling
- Chicken – 1 kg
- Soya sauce – 1 tbsp
- Chilli powder – 1 tsp
- Carrot , cut into thin long slices – 1/2 cup
- Cabbage, cut into thin long strips – 1 cup
- Onion, chopped – 3
- Garlic, chopped – 10 cloves
- Ginger, chopped – 3″ piece
- Green chillies, chopped – 3
- Light Soya sauce – 1 1/2 tbsp
- Pepper powder – 1 tbsp
- Coriander leaves , chopped – a few sprigs
- Salt – as required
For the pancake
- All purpose flour – 1 cup
- Water – 2 cups
- Salt – 1 pinch
For the coating
- Egg whites – 3
- Breadcrumbs – as required
To make the filling
- Cut the chicken into fairly large pieces and rub the soya sauce and chilli powder over them. Cook with required amount of water and salt. If there is water remaining, cook with the lid open till all water evaporates. After the chicken cools, shred it into long pieces.
- Heat a non stick pan and add oil.
- On medium flame saute chopped onions and green chillies till onion turns translucent.
- Add chopped ginger and garlic and saute for 4-5 minutes.
- Add the shredded chicken and saute again.
- Finally add the sliced carrots and cabbage. Increase the flame to high and stir continuously for around 5 minutes till the vegetables turn soft.
- Add soya sauce and pepper powder. Adjust the pepper and salt according to your taste.
- Stir in chopped coriander leaves and remove from flame.
To make the pancakes
- Mix flour , water and salt in blender to get a lump free batter. The batter will be thin in consistency
- Heat a non stick pan . Keep the flame low. Pour a big spoonful of batter and spread to form a circle .Cook one side of the pancake (Do NOT flip over). (If the pancake sticks to the bottom , increase the heat slightly)
- Remove the pancake and place on an oiled plate. Place a spoonful of filling on one end of the pancake leaving an inch.
- Roll the pancake once. Fold both the sides towards the center.
- Roll the pancake till the end .
- Continue this with the rest of the batter to make spring rolls.
- Dip each spring roll in egg white and then in breadcrumbs.
- Heat oil in a deep pan and deep fry the spring rolls till golden brown in colour.