Chicken cutlets are an all time favourite. But as I have a sweet tooth, I prepare them rarely. Cutlets appear in my kitchen for Iftaar , mainly- the main advantage being their freezer life. Can make them ahead and store for around 3 weeks. Last time I made these, the kids loved them and was asking for more. So guess cutlets will be a regular item from now on …….
- Chicken – 900 gms
- Onions, chopped – 3
- Ginger – 1″ piece
- Garlic – 6 cloves
- Green chillies – 3
- Chilli powder – 1tsp
- Turmeric powder – 1/2 tsp
- Pepper powder – 1 tsp
- Garam Masala – 1 tsp
- Coriander leaves, chopped – a few sprigs
- Potatoes, medium sized- 2
- Egg whites – 2
- Breadcrumbs – for coating
- Oil – for frying
- Cook and mash the potatoes and keep aside.
- Cut the chicken in to big pieces.Rub the chilli and turmeric powders on the pieces and keep aside for 15 minutes.
- Cook the chicken pieces in little water and salt .(You can use pressure cooker.. If there is remaining water, cook with the lid open till water evaporates).
- Remove the bones and shred the chicken into small pieces. (Can use food processor)
- In a medium sized non stick pan , heat oil.
- Add the chopped onions and saute till it turns soft. Add the chopped chillies, ginger and garlic and saute for 3-4 minutes .
- Mix the shredded chicken and saute well for 10-15 minutes. Toss in the pepper powder and garam masala.
- Stir in the chopped coriander leaves .
- Turn off the flame and let the mixture cool for 10 minutes.
- Add the mashed potatoes to the chicken mixture and mix well using your hands. (The mixture should hold shape when rolled into balls).
- Take small portions of the mixture and roll into lime sized ball .Flatten it between the palms to give it shape .
- Beat egg whites with a fork.
- Dip each cutlet in egg white and roll in breadcrumbs, making sure that all sides are nicely coated.
- Heat oil in pan and fry the cutlets in medium flame till they are golden brown (You can deep fry or shallow fry the cutlets) .
Sending this to Iftar Event hosted at Hyderabadi Cuisine Recipes and
Iftar Moments hosted at Taste of Pearl City