It’s usually Vegetable Pulao for lunch (to make the kids eat their veggies without much fuss..).. Came across this rice preparation with mushrooms in one of my favorite cooking shows on TV. Mushrooms and rice??? Interesting… Made it with minimal changes : incorporated oregano and parsley as they go well with mushrooms... Result:Son who is not a big fan of mushrooms asked me to prepare it for him again.. Now this simple yet appealing dish is a recurrent item in our lunch menu…
Adapted from Magic Oven Show by Lakshmi Nair
- Basmati rice, washed and drained – 1 1/2 cup
- Boiling water – 3 cups (twice the amount of rice)
- Butter – 2 tbsp
- Garlic chopped – 4 cloves
- Button Mushrooms , cubed – 15
- Cooked corn – 1/2 cup
- Parsley chopped – a handful
- Oregano powder – 1-2 tsp
- Pepper powder – 1-2 tsp
- Salt – to taste
- Heat a thick bottomed pan and melt the butter.
- Add chopped garlic and saute till it gives a nice aroma.
- Toss in the chopped mushrooms and cook till the water from the mushrooms have dried up.
- Add the rice and saute on medium flame for 4-5 minutes
- Add the boiling water and salt and cook on a closed lid.
- When the rice is cooked, toss in the cooked corn and chopped parsley.
- Sprinkle the oregano and pepper powder.
- Serve hot… and treat your tastebuds 🙂