A packet of stale bread meant one thing – it’s time for bread pudding. 🙂 The recipes in my recipe book was more of a caramel bread pudding , meaning more eggs and less bread. I browsed through the net and decided to try out this recipe with small changes. As my hubby and kids are not so fond of raisins I substituted them with almonds, and topped the bread with pralines just before baking.. The warm bread pudding with the almonds, cinnamon, pralines – a real treat for your taste buds!!!
- soft butter – 50g
- white bread, cut diagonally across – 12 slices (I used rectangular slices)
- slivered almonds/raisins – 50g
- grated nutmeg- ¼ tsp
- cinnamon – ¼ tsp
- milk – 400 ml
- heavy double cream – 100ml
- large eggs – 3
- sugar – 25gm
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Praline powder – 100gm
For the Praline powder
- Heat 6 tbsp of sugar in a non stick pan. When the sugar melts ,add the broken cashewnuts.
- Remove the pan from the heat and pour the mixture on a buttered surface /butter paper and allow to cool.
- Powder the hardened mixture coarsely using a pestle.
For The Pudding
- Heat the oven to 180°C
- Grease a pie dish with a little of the butter. Spread each of the bread triangles with butter.
- Cover the base of the pie dish with overlapping triangles of bread, butter side up. Sprinkle the raisins/almonds evenly over the bread, then lightly sprinkle with a little nutmeg and cinnamon. Repeat this layer one more time or until the dish is filled, finishing with the raisins/almonds on top.
- In a saucepan gently heat the milk and cream – DO NOT BOIL.
- In a large baking bowl beat the eggs with 3/4 sugar and the vanilla extract until light and airy and pale in color. Pour the warm milk over the eggs and continue beating until all the milk is added.
- Pour the egg mixture slowly and evenly over the bread until all the liquid is added. Gently press the surface with your hand to push the bread into the liquid. Sprinkle the remaining sugar over the surface then leave to one side for 30 mins.
- Sprinkle the praline powder on the top layer to give a uniform coating.
- Bake the pudding in the hot oven for 40 – 45 mins, until the surface is golden brown and the pudding well risen and the egg is set. Serve hot.
Bread and Butter Pudding reheats well covered with aluminum foil in a hot oven
P.S: Sending this to Bake-off round up at Versatile Kitchen , A.W.E.D-British Event by Reva and DK , to Priya’s BEST WESTERN DESSERT EVENT , Only Cooking With Bread and Celebrate Sweets – Warm Desserts Event hosted by Priya and Nivedita.