The first time I made this dish it didn’t come out quite well.. The mistake was that I had made it using coriander ,chilli, turmeric & garam masala powders… Later my sister in law explained to me that this was one dish that you make with minimal ingredients; there is no need for any spice powders. Just blanche the palak , grind it with chillies, and add to sautéd onions.. that’s it.. easy and delicious..
- Spinach – 2 large bunches
- Cottage cheese (paneer) – 100 grams
- Green chillies – 2-3
- Garlic – 5 cloves
- Oil -3 tablespoons
- Cumin seeds -1/2 teaspoon
- Salt -to taste
- Lemon juice -1 tablespoon
- Fresh cream – 4 tablespoons
- Remove stems, wash spinach thoroughly in running water.
- Blanch in salted boiling water for two minutes. Refresh in chilled water. Squeeze out excess water.
- Remove stems, wash and roughly chop green chillies.
- Grind spinach into a fine paste along with green chillies.
- Dice paneer into one inch by one inch by half inch pieces.
- Peel, wash and chop garlic.
- Heat oil in a pan. Add cumin seeds. When they begin to change colour, add chopped garlic and sauté for half a minute.
- Add the spinach puree and stir. Add water if required.
- When the gravy comes to a boil, add the paneer and mix well.
- Stir in lemon juice. Finally add fresh cream. Serve hot.