I was pondering on what to prepare as dessert for my nieces who were coming over for the weekend . ( I always fret a lot on desserts, as I am a self proclaimed sweet lover…) . As it’s winter here I wanted to make a warm dessert.. and finally settled on gulab jamuns.. I used to make gulab jamuns using the instant powder mix;this time I thought – let me try it with milk powder. I found this recipe from Sanjeev Kapoor’s site.. (http://www.sanjeevkapoor.com/instant-gulab-jamun.aspx) But wait, why not give a twist to the normal gulab jamun and make them chocolatey instead (the chocaholic in me smiled… ) . So I modified the recipe a little and made the choco gulab jamun. And topped it with fried icecream…
PS – I should have mentioned in my earlier posts, but better late than never… The beautiful snaps in the blog were taken by my dear brother… This sweet treat is for u big bro…
For the Chocolate Gulab Jamun
- Milk powder – 1cup + 2 tablespoons
- Refined flour (maida) – 1 tablespoon
- Cocoa powder – 1 tablespoon
- Soda bicarbonate – 1/4 teaspoon
- Green cardamom powder – 1/2 teaspoon
- Ghee 4 teaspoons + to deep fry
- Sugar 1 cup
- Heat sugar and one cup of water in a pan and cook to make a syrup.
- Mix milk powder, refined flour ,cocoa powder, soda bicarbonate, green cardamom powder and four teaspoons of ghee in a bowl.. (If you want to make normal gulab jamuns, omit the cocoa powder)
- Add sufficient water to the milk powder mixture and knead into a soft dough.(You can add milk also to knead the dough)
- Divide the dough into small balls.
- Heat sufficient ghee in a deep bottomed pan.
- Deep fry the jamuns in the ghee on low heat.
- When the gulab jamuns are golden brown, drain them.
- Put the sugar syrup on a low simmering fire.
- Add the gulab jamuns to the simmering syrup for 8-10 minutes.
- Transfer to the gulab jamuns and the syrup to a dish
For The Fried Icecream
- Keep the icecream at room temperature till it begins to defreeze.
- Scoop out balls of icecream and roll them in flour.
- Keep the floured icecream balls back into the freezer for about 2 hours.
- Heat oil in a deep bottomed pan and deep fry the icecream balls . (Take out the icecream balls before they start to melt.)
Serve the hot jamuns with the fried icecream and chocalate sauce.
P.S : I am sending this as an entry to Delicious Desserts event hosted by What’s Cooking today!!
and to Indian Mithai Mela at What’s Cooking by Kalyani