Before marriage, me and cooking were like opposite poles… I would very bravely venture into the kitchen to try a new dish, but somehow the result would be a disaster. My cooking skill was a joke for sometime among my siblings and cousins… With that culinary background I came to my husband’s home … and found out that my mom-in-law was an expert cook… She would make cakes, cookies, puddings, jams, pickles, sauces, the list was endless . So once again, under my mom- in- law’s guidance, I rolled up my sleeve , put on the apron and started the battle in the kitchen. But this time I emerged a winner 🙂 .. and I have to say the major reason behind this was my mom in law who very patiently taught me the different tips and techniques in cooking….
This almond cookie recipe is from my mom- in- law . Whenever I make it, it brings back the fond memories of my successful cooking attempts..
- Dalda (vegetable shortening)- 1 1/4 cup
- Powdered sugar – 2 cups
- Powdered Almonds – 100gm
- Baking powder – 1tsp
- Flour – 2 cups
- Salt – 1/4 tsp
- Vanilla essence – 1/2 tsp
- Egg yolk – 1
- Sieve together flour and baking powder.
- Beat vegetable shortening, powdered sugar and salt using a wooden spoon.
- Add in the essence and flour and mix well.
- Finally add the powdered almonds and make a smooth dough.
- Make lemon sized balls from the dough. Make a small depression in each of the dough balls and add a drop of egg yolk into the depression.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 1800C for 10 minutes.
- Remove from oven and let it cool for sometime.