As a kid I had always heard “Gajar ka halwa” mentioned in Bollywood movies and I still remember the first time I had a chance to savor this delectable dish.. For me it was love at first bite.. it still is one of my favourite desserts…
Gajar ka halwa is a very traditional Indian sweet. Grated carrots are boiled in milk in a low flame. When milk is almost dry, sugar is added and cooked again. Though the cooking procedure is very simple it takes time. I heat the halwa in microwave after adding sugar to save effort …
Ghee – 2tbsp
Sugar – 200gm
Green Cardamom powder – 1 tspDirections
1. Peel, wash and grate carrot
2. Heat ghee in a thick bottomed pan . Add grated carrots cook on a medium flame for 8 to 10 minutes
3. Add milk and green cardamom powder. Bring it to a boil and then reduce flame.
4. Cook on a slow flame until milk is almost reduced.
5. Add sugar and cook until dry. Stir constantly.
(this stage can be done in a microwave also.. Heat in Medium High setting for 25 to 30 minutes… )
6. Garnish with sliced almonds.
This halwa tastes best when served warm..
... and to Indian Mithai Mela at What’s Cooking by Kalyani